Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Southern Rapture


Southern Rapture will be the name of this quilt. It has been quite a project but it's coming to a close. My cousin and I are making this quilt together - no small feat since she lives in GA and I live in NC. We chose a foundation paper pieced pattern because she had never made anything using that technique. I happen to enjoy the foundation paper piecing technique. So, Patricia chose the "California" star from Carol Doak's book on the 50 stars for the 50 states; I chose the fabrics - we were off and running. We each made 18 blocks - 35 blocks make up the quilt top and 1 will be used as the label. Let's do some simple math - there are 96 pieces in each block x 35 blocks = 3,360 pieces plus the border and binding.




Wow!




It's been a challenge but worth it because I think it has turned out to be simply beautiful.




We're making this quilt for my sister, Shelley.




This weekend I'm taking my half of the quilt to Patricia's and we are going to finish the quilt top together. This time next week it will be safely entrusted into the hands of a spectacular machine quilter - Lilly Lucier in Vanceboro, NC. Lilly will get the quilt back to me in about 3 weeks, then I'll sew on the binding and the label and we will close the chapter on this quilt.




The next quilt we make together will be for Patricia's brother, Ernie. We've elected to do a much, much simpler pinwheel design ... only 8 pieces in each block. And we're going to make it in a monochromatic color scheme. But, you know what? It will be just as lovely. Because in the border we plan to applique the handprints of all of Ernie's children and grandchildren to personalize the quilt just for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment