Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Very Special Quilt


A friend of mine teaches kindergarten. She loves for folks to come to her classroom to work with the kids on a craft project or read to them.
I asked her to have the children draw anything they wanted then I transferred those drawings onto 15" square pieces of muslin fabric. I took the fabric drawings and fabric paints to the classroom one day and let each child paint their drawing. They also "signed" their block. The teacher, assistant and myself also made blocks.
My friend's name is Melissa Britner and her students are called "Britner's Bees". I found this fabulous green fabric with bees on it and decided it would have to be used somewhere in the quilt. I stitched together the blocks and used the bee fabric on the borders and binding.
Melissa is a natural teacher. She is in her element in the classroom and truly loves what she does - and it shows. How many folks in this world are lucky enough to be doing exactly what they were meant to do?
I wish you could have seen the expressions on the childrens' faces when that finished quilt was presented to the classroom. The kids were so proud to see their work of art incorporated into the quilt and couldn't wait to show it off to their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment