Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Noon Whistle

Today I had the delightful honor and privilege of working at my friend's quilt shop while she attended a quilt show in Wilmington. Her quilt shop is Cotton Fields in Washington, NC. It's one of my favorite places! Her kitty cats kept me company and I spent the day happily cutting fabrics for 2 clutch purses and 4 quilts. It was a great way to spend my Saturday. Her shop is located next door to the volunteer fire department for our area and at noon, sharp, the noon whistle sounded. I work 20 miles away so I don't get to hear that comforting and trusted sound except on the weekends. I don't know if the noon whistle is a small-town thing, a southern thing, or what. But a part of me hopes it is a tradition that never dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment