Saturday, May 1, 2010

Another Mother-Daughter Quilt


About 7 or 8 years ago my mother began quilting. She started by taking a class where the students made a different "sampler block" each week. She made 17 blocks and though I think she enjoyed making them, she fussed that they weren't perfect. She put 12 of them together then put everything away and moved on to another quilting project.

When my sister and I visited her a few weeks ago, my mother gave me all her quilting stuff. She said she would not make any more quilts by herself. That's sad to me, but I can understand where she is coming from. I was thrilled to be the benefactor of her quilting tools and notes but even happier to discover the 17 original blocks she had made. I asked if I could have them and she said yes.

Today I put them together into a lap quilt (photo). I think it's beautiful and am proud to be able to finish it for her.

I also discovered another quilting project she had started - it was a Hancock's Fabric quilt club quilt - 12 blocks - she has all the patterns and materials required for the blocks, and had even finished 3 of the 12 blocks. We are going to finish that piece as well, and today, appropriately, we went to Hancock's to purchase fabric for the sashings and borders for this project. I can't wait to see that finished piece and know it will be lovely.

Whenever I go antiquing something I keep an eye out for is unfinished blocks or quilt tops that need to be finished. I know that the quilter would be thrilled to have someone pick up the unfinished project and see it through to a finished piece. I haven't come across any of these treasures yet, but maybe one day I will ...

No comments:

Post a Comment