Thursday, May 27, 2010

Rose Cuttings


One of the gals I work with (Marina) has a real talent when it comes to raising roses. Not only can she grow them, but she knows their names and so much specific information about each rose (like their grade with the rose associations!). I, on the other hand, just buy plants from a local nursery that I like and put them in the ground hoping they'll grow, and then can never remember the names of the plants other than something broad like "that's a hosta" (but not the specific type of hosta). Marina is graciously sharing cuttings from her roses with me and I'm going to attempt to propagate them. Here are the cuttings - they look so healthy.


She even labeled each cutting!



And then she wrote on a notecard all the pertinent information about each rose cutting.








In my shed, a.k.a. The Crafty Cottage, I'm going to make it a point to keep this information about the roses so maybe one day I can share cuttings with someone.







I have other plants propagating right now, too. These are Nikko Blue hydrangeas - they were supposed to be white, red, blue, and pink hydrangeas but in my soil they're all blue or lavender.







And these are different color Christmas cacti. They look pretty when they bloom because there will be 2 or 3 different colors in one pot, although sometimes they don't all bloom at the same time.







My Easter cactus that I propagated from my cousin's plant a couple of years ago is trying to bloom for the first time - it has a beautiful, frilly flower - I'll take a photo of the open flower later - it takes a while for the flower to grow and bloom - am keeping my fingers crossed that nothing happens to the flower before it blooms, like the neighbor's cat who enjoys playing with my plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment