Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Quilting Treasures

Treasures come in many different shapes, sizes and forms. For me, finding 2 unfinished quilts in my mother's quilting supplies was a real treasure.

I wrote an earlier blog post about this sampler quilt. She had made 17 blocks, 12 of which were already sewn into a quilt top. I added 4 of the 5 remaining to make the piece 4x4 blocks and plan to use the remaining block as the label on the back. My mother is very critical of these blocks, claiming they are not perfect. Well, most of my quilt blocks are not perfect either. And these were the first ones she ever made. She didn't start quilting until she was 75 or so. I'm tickled pink with this find and even more tickled to be able to finish it for her. She has told me I can keep this one and for that, I'm truly thankful. My mother wants to name it "Beginner's Luck". Cute name.

For all my fussing and whining like a spoiled child about making this quilt with my mother (an earlier blog post), I have to admit that it turned out so pretty. And I'm glad that I could be a part of making this quilt with her as it is likely the last bed size quilt that she'll be a part of making. She has toyed with the idea of naming this one "Pretty in Pink." The original design is called "Noel" and was featured in one of the December quilting magazines.

This quilt ... this quilt was a Hancock Fabrics quilting club project. My mother had finished 3 of the 12 blocks. She had purchased all 12 of the pattern kits so we had everything we needed to complete the project. There are a ton of mistakes in it but it adds to its charm; I have to say, though, that the fabric in these kits was the absolutely cheapest fabric available so it was quite challenging to work with - it frayed and would not hold its shape. Mother plans to use this as a lap quilt. I have not a clue what she'll want to name it but we have plenty of time for that.

For now, all 3 quilts will be hand delivered to the machine quilter (Lilly Lucier, Vanceboro, NC) tomorrow afternoon. Lilly does a phenomenal job, even with pieces that have boo-boo's or maybe aren't square.

My mother's fingers are deformed with arthritis and she has trouble mentally staying focused on a task, but the enjoyment I saw her get from working on these 3 quilts with me is something I'll always remember. I'll write about it in my journal just to make sure I do remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment