Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Versatile Log Cabin Block

I wonder if there is a quilt block pattern more versatile than the log cabin? With just a simple quarter or half turn of the block, the whole design changes. You can design with color as well as shape using this block. Strips can be one size on one half of the block and larger on the other half for even another design element. Main design elements can be set off-center. Over and over again it happens that I'll see a quilt that is just so striking and upon closer inspection realize, "wow! that's just a simple log cabin block."

I made the quilt in this photo for my Sweet Babboo about 3 or 4 years ago. Just a simple log cabin block with a bit of sashing around 3 sides. Lilly Lucier (machine quilter, Vanceboro, NC) quilted it using a rolling heart design.

1 comment:

  1. I love this pattern! I see an irish chain in it also. What is this pattern!??! or did you make it up? I agree with you about the log cabin block! I LOVE it! I am making a medallion quilt, the M&S fabric one and on an outer row, I made one log cabin block. Not using a pattern, just winging it. I don't know why I did, but I did and now LOVE IT!!! I think it will make a nice frame around it. Now to play w/the placement! :)

    ReplyDelete