Monday, June 4, 2012

Design Wall Monday 6-4-12

The local quilt shop, Cotton Fields, is having a delightful challenge this summer. A challenge kit is available from the shop and contains 3 fabrics that have to be used to create a crazy patchwork piece which can be embellished however the designer wants - is it okay to add additional fabrics as well. The challenge piece is due at the shop by the end of July. I am well on my way. Here is the base piece. I made the beaded dragonfly that will be adhered to the center. I plan to incorporate prairie points along the binding.I also decided to add piping between the blocks and the border. Next I'll start the embroidery, add beads, then finish the prairie points, quilting, and binding. The finished piece will be around 19-20" square. I'm naming it "Controlled Chaos" because even though it comes across as a crazy patchwork, the dirty little secret is that I made a foundation paper pieced pattern and all four blocks are the same!

The Artrageous Quilters group met Saturday. Our project was "cityscapes" - beautiful, lively, whimsical cityscapes or townscapes. I did a beachscape and will name it 'Beach"es"Cape'. This was just nothing but fun. No rules. Wonky. Cheerful. I enjoyed every second of it, and my imagination is running at a full tilt dreaming up other townscape pieces. The pieces are just pinned down right now so I need to fuse and/or sew them in place. I have some small seashells and sea glass to add to the "beach", and I plan to add some beads. I think my next one may focus on cottages ...

Take some time to visit Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times to see what others are up to.

4 comments:

  1. Your challenge quilt is great: I see a friendship star in the way you places the sections. And I love, love, love your Beach"es"Cape, it is wonderful. All fusible applique? It is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your beach es cape (great name) The colors are so cheerful and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the challenge block. The dragonfly is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a beautiful job on the beach. Love the umbrellas and flowers.

    ReplyDelete