Sunday, September 5, 2010

Design Wall Monday 9-6-10 - The Wedding Quilt Continues



Monday I will be linking to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times.



The wedding quilt ("Ocean Mist") is coming together nicely. In fact, so far it's gone together beautifully. There are 7 more blocks to piece, each one becoming a lighter and lighter hue. It will be framed with a border of the white fabric. A 2nd border will be purple-red batik and a 3rd border will be the same dark blue batik that all the blocks have in common - what I'm calling the little "flag pieces". It should be ready for Lilly Lucier to machine quilt in about a week. I'm pondering whether I should send it on to Lilly or be patient and wait for her to come to the quilt shop in a couple of weeks ...

This quilt has been my first foray into the world of jellyroll fabrics. I would buy another jellyroll in a heartbeat. What a great way to get to sample a whole collection. In this jellyroll there were 2 strips of 22 different fabrics.

My next quilt will be a lapsize quilt called Cabin in the Orchard. It is from the book Patchwork Comforters, Throws & Quilts and features my favorite color - RED. I can hardly wait to get started on it. I need one more dark red then I'll be ready to start cutting. After that I plan to work on several applique projects that will not require my sewing machine's services ... since my machine and I are still having a love-hate relationship, when I get to that point I will pack it up and take it to the shop for some much need maintenance.

I hope everyone had a delightful Labor Day holiday weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Sally,
    This really is going to be a beautiful quilt. I know it will be cherished as a wedding gift.
    Jane
    jinglebell440.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is coming along beautifully. There is nothing better for a wedding gift, in my opinion, at least. Can't wait to see it done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be cherished. Thank you, Sally! It's beautiful and I can't wait to see it and touch it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous colors! I like your layout of darker to lighter.

    ReplyDelete