Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What Is Your Favorite Part of the Quilting Process?


I'm trying to think if there is a part of the process I don't like.



I guess if I had to name a least favorite part it would be cutting out the fabric, however, I love the organizing part - cutting all the fabric and organizing it to make assembling the blocks go smoother, making sure I have all the pieces and parts I needs.



I really enjoy the design process and selecting the fabrics. I enjoy having someone in mind for a quilt and then designing a quilt specifically for them.



I enjoy assembling the blocks and watching the quilt grow as I continue to build it on the design wall.



I enjoy sewing together the rows and watching the design appear.



I enjoy adding the borders aqnd seeing the finishing steps starting to take place.



I enjoy dropping it off at the machine quilter (Lilly Lucier, Vanceboro, NC) and chatting with her about quilt designs, threads, etc.



I absolutely love it when Lilly calls to tell me she has finished my quilt.



It thrills me to unfold the quilted top at Lilly's and see how it has transformed.



I enjoy sewing on the binding and the quiet joy of whipstitching it down to a finished look.


And finally, I enjoy selecting a name, creating a label and sewing it onto the finished quilt back.



But probably my favorite part is when I give the quilt as a gift and I see in the eyes of the recipient the pleasure that quilt brings to them.



So, I guess I like the whole process.
The two quilts in this photo were returned to me today by Lilly. One is a baby quilt ("Megan Lee"), and one is a bed size quilt for my bed ("Summer's Folly"). The binding is on. All that's left to do is whipstitch the binding and add the labels. I'll have them finished by the weekend! Then photos for my scrapbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment