Monday, August 13, 2012

Design Wall Monday 8-13-12

Work has been crazy-busy. The the air conditioner in the sewing studio quit working. All of that has affected the amount of time I have had for sewing, especially the broken A/C because in the late afternoon the temperature in that room pushes 100. Pooh!

Anyway, enough whining - the A/C will be repaired this week. In the meantime I've tried to work on projects that didn't require sewing (yet). This is a crayon dyed piece - I took the original photo of a little fishing cottage in my coastal home town. It's a precious little place I simply adore. Using Picasa I had the photo translated to a line art drawing. Believe it or not, I simplified that line art drawing even more to come up with this version. Using a crayon technique I learned from mamacjt's blog, I have colored the piece and have ironed it to permanently dye the fabric. What's left to do is ... a lot! I have to stitch over all the black lines with black thread. I intend to embellish it with embroidery - flowers, crab pots, and other details. Then it will be quilted.

Another project I've been able to work on outside of the sewing studio is this yellow rose wall hanging. The pattern is a Ruth Blanchet Creation distributed by Arbee Designs Ltd. - it's actually a quilt, but I simply do not need another bed size quilt nor is there anyone I need to make a bed size quilt for, so I elected to do just the center motif from the pattern of the rose.

My A/C should be repaired this week, then I'll start catching up on some projects that have been put on hold, like these two pieces, a couple of other art quilt patterns I drew up in my down time, two e-reader pouches, etc. Later this week Lori, Ruth, and I are going to play with sun paints.

Please take a few moments to visit Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times to see projects other creative quilters are working on.

8 comments:

  1. Ohhh Sally - I really love your crayon dyed piece - I did the same type of technique with my art class but we soaked our fabric in milk - it gave this really cool watercolor effect. So glad your AC is going to be fixed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your crayon piece -- what a fun technique! The appliqué rose is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such different projects -- and both are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful projects! Hope you're back in your sewing room soon with AC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love both of your projects! The rose is stunning and I really like the cottage. Please tell us more about this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cabin. Gorgeous yellow rose your choice of colors gives them so much depth!!!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, your crayon dyed project. Regular crayone? I can't draw but I can take pictures and never thought about trying to get a line drawing with my software. I'm going to try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep - regular crayons. Check out www.mamacjt.blogspot.com - she has a number of projects in her blog that use this technique and she describes how she does it.

    ReplyDelete